Monday, October 25, 2010

Heroes

I have three big climbing heroes. The first is Patxi Usobiaga because I am eternally impressed by his dedication to training. I kind of feel like I'm in the same boat; I think I will have to always train if I want to reach the top and climb with the best of the best at their level. The second is Adam Ondra. He is young and goofy(well it is kinda true haha). He climbs like a mad man though, inspiring in my opinion. Then there is also Nalle who, to me, came out of no where and was just climbing at the top. He also started climbing a little later than most top climbers; I thought that was cool. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of climbers I look up to. Among the larger than life ones are: Alli and Kevin Wilkinson, Joe Kinder, and Jonathan Siegrest. Then of course, even though this isn't actually the point of this blog, are the local climbers who I really feel I owe a thank you to for so many things. Mike Snyder was the guy that took me climbing outside when I really didn't have any climber friends. I can't tell you how appreciative of his patience with a little climber like myself I am. Aaron Mulkey had the largest impact on me. His gym introduced me to climbing (introduction is step number one to obsession). He introduced me to the now deceased climbing team and competitions. Clint Cook is someone who I look up to. He not only pushes his climbing in the midst of an actual life, but he has an attitude towards everything I admire. Leif Gasch: he has had an influence upon my climbing like none other. From him, I learned progression; he showed what training actually was. That it really could be used to make climbing harder stuff a reality. BJ Tilden is one of my biggest heroes. I used to be all worried that I would never receive a sponsorship. Hearing him though, I realize why was I ever worried about that. He climbs extremely hard and has an actual job and no sponsorships. He has chosen to go that way. He loves to climb just to climb. That is how I climb, but I would worry about the idea of a sponsorship. Now I know that doesn't matter. So I am just climbing to be better. That is all I truly worry about now: bettering myself.

4 comments:

wyclimber said...

Nice post Kerrrek. Thanks for the nod.
BTW Heart of A Masochist is sick. Good name, great problem... Now show me how to do that move off the double pinch!!!!

Davin said...

Great Post! It is so good to look back on where you came from and understand your roots. You are strong enough to be sponsored if you want to. It is good to climb for yourself no matter what and you already know that. Very Nice!

wyclimber said...

Somehow I am seeing the words hero and whore in your title. So which is it? or is it both?

Kerrek Stinson said...

Definitely heroes. Haha whoopsie. I know super sick line. Short but beautiful. Beta spray- you can manage a sit with the left sloper and a weird grabbing on a vertical hold. You hit the first hold with you right then make a huge cross to the pinch with your left. From there, you get a left toe and right heel and without doubling up you through your right hand to the bottom of the rail. I campussed the last hard move to the jug because I was worried I would mess up the heel. I think it might be possible to keep the heel when you move from the pinch. But then, that swing will be even sicker. Did everyone try it? What do you think of the grade?